Sunday, September 30, 2012

Adidas isn't racist


Just foolish. Not every bad idea makes a person/corporation racist.
What it does make them is stupid. I mean, look at these god damn shoes.

Damn. Just damn. Look at those shoes. I'll admit, when I was kid, probably from, oh, conception to the age of eight, I thought purple and orange was the best combination of colors ever. Nowadays, it's just straight up ugly. And, guess what! It looks bad on these shoes! Since I'm not professional shoe critic, like one of my old co-workers (who I will definitely hit up over this), I can't really discuss the finer points of these sneakers, but I can comment on the pièce de résistance, the eponymous shackles.

If you haven't heard, people are saying the shackles are racist because, let's be honest, the target demographic 
of these shoes tends to be... Well, you can figure it out. I really don't think people at Adidas were sitting around
saying to each other, "Let's release shoes with chains on them. Wouldn't t that be funny! The irony of black
people wearing shoes with chains!" I'm pretty sure they saw some people calling racist a mile away, but I
don't think they expected this, or to be called out as truly racist.

In my opinion, they're just dumb gimmick gone horribly awry. They won't be the first ugly shoes.
They won't be the last. This gimmick just happened to be worse than most, I guess.
If anything, this tripe is common in Japan. Just google "Japanese Fashion" or something, and you'll get some 
strange stuff. I mean, this is a fashion sphere which Kirugumi is a popular trend and that gave the rest of the 
world Bathing Apes.
Unforgivable.

Addendum: I don't hate Bathing Apes (I'm not calling them BAPES) because they're inherently bad shoes,
but rather because:
A) That is one of the most unpleasant sounding names for a brand ever. I mean, "Bathing Ape"... it just 
sounds wrong. I'm sure it was based off of those Japanese monkey's that sit in hot springs all day.
B) It's a brand normally associated with Chav's, A.K.A, a group I don't want to be lumped with. We all know
it's only a matter of time until Chav-dom comes to the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment