Sunday, August 26, 2012

Post #6

Just a quick observation about Texas Tech;
In a statistic I'm pulling out of my ass, about 65% of everyone I've seen falls into the "Bro" demographic.
You know what I mean, those guys who wear RVCA tanks despite having absolutely no muscles to display, those guys who drive trucks because they're big (and dare I say, compensating for something), those guys who wear snapbacks for team they probably don't care about, etc. etc.
I'm pretty convinced they exist solely to provide a foil to everything good and rational in the world.
Well, as I walk around campus, surrounded by bros and their hoes, chattering endlessly in faux-country accents (they're trying to fit in to the "country" vibe that Lubbock is supposed to have, but is sorely lacking... I think), about how smashed they're going to get and how they're going to smoke enough ganja to buy out a whole Colorado repository, I can only think of one thing - How did these people get into college?

Tech doesn't have the highest academic standards, despite being a Tier 1 school. I didn't expect the UT crowd. I didn't even expect the A&M crowd. But this... I can see how one out of every three freshman doesn't make it past the first semester.
That doesn't exclude the upper-classman bros. Not only how did they get into college, how did they stay?
Going back to A&M and UT as well, my consituents attending those schools tell me it's just as bad there. Hell, I even hear TCU is just as bad.

How did this happen? How did it come to this?
I'm quick to point my finger at my old nemesis, School Athletics, but in my heart of hearts, I know this is one issue I can't blame on our societies obsession with sports. Well, let's just say that's a possibility that's yet to be seen.

Whatever the case, I hate them already. And I hate tank tops, which is a shame, since I wouldn't hate them if these tits hadn't ruined them.

I'll probably have more trivial things to bitch about later (like the fact the internet in the dorms are fine, but refuse to load YouTube videos for some reason, or the douchebag "DJ" who I'm pretty confident no one likes who plays only shitty dubstep and complains about literally every other genre of music), but right now, it's a Sunday afternoon and I'm still feeling like Gilbert O'Sullivan. I've been passing the time by aimlessly wandering around campus and listening to Gangnam Style for the sixtieth time today.

When will this be the socially acceptable mode
of locomotion that it should be?
Also, I really want Yoo Jae-Sook's
suit. I would wear that pretty much everywhere.

I'm deeply upset that Tech doesn't offer Korean courses, but I'll be damned if that keeps me from staying a semester over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment