Monday, August 13, 2012

The Return of the Sperglord

So I was in San Antonio for San Japan: Mach 5 for the past three days.
I don't know what else to say other than I had a very, very good time. I've been to A-Kon twice, but never really done anything but wander around the dealer room and look at other things here and there. Having actually done stuff? And actually talk to people?
Yeah, I'd definitely go again.
I mean, I met Ellen McClain (voice of GLaDOS) and her husband John Patrick Lowrie (the voice of the Sniper in TF2 AND an award winning author, he was very vehement people know him as something outside of TF2. I don't blame him, really), LittleKuriboh of Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged fame, participated in an anime trivia contest, won an Iron Cosplay contest, danced like a maniac, went to both raves, ate nothing but pizza and orange chicken, had a good time with old friends and met some new ones...
Still, the return to reality is overwhelmingly depressing. Hell, Sunday itself was depressing; hardly anything was going on, and everyone was leaving. Hotel parking lots dried up, the streets were once again filled with normal people... It's saddening.
That combined with the fact that my constant, three plus week long vacation stint is finally coming to a close.
I gave it a good run.
Summer 2012 is one for the record books.
Now in only one more week, the reality I've returned to changes all over again... I'll get to that soon enough.
Final Thoughts: San Japan was cool, I've already registered for next year.

Oh, and one more thing...
To all you Homestuck(ers?) I may have offended and Homestucker fans in general:
I was wrong. I apologize.
I still think Homestuck's fandom is a blight and that Homestuck cosplay sucks (I had three days worth of proof), BUT I did find a cosplay that takes the minimal amount of effort period.

Oh yes. I used to give Finn cosplay the slip, if only because you have to go out of your way to make or buy the hat. But now that they're being sold on ThinkGeek for sixteen dollars a pop? Well, I can't tell you how many Finn's I saw who couldn't even bother to get a green backpack or even wear shorts. I want to say Cartoon Network has now started mass producing them and selling them in stores via Vietnamese sweatshops because I think I saw a giant "CN" stamped to the back of one... Unfortunately, my research so far (read: a minute on google) has come up dry... for now.
Though, perhaps the blame is being put on the wrong person. I mean, the "Finn" at hand is still at fault for being "Finn", but I saw plenty of Princess Bubblegums and Marcelines (may I add, in varying levels of quality) with them. If there were less Princesses and Vampires, would there be so many Finns? I wonder...
So yeah, sorry Homestuck guys. I don't like you any more, but at least I know you've put a modicum of thought into your costume outside buying a single hat for sixteen dollars and a two dollar light blue t-shirt, assuming you didn't have one to begin with.

If you aren't this guy, don't bother dressing as Finn.
You can't follow this up unless you have a really good Jake with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment