Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Jeff the Killer isn't scary

Yeah. I said it.
About damn time some one did.

I honestly cannot quite figure out why the Creepypasta "Jeff the Killer" has gotten so popular. It's not scary.
The writing is simply mediocre (I know some of you would like to believe that "mediocre" is synonymous with "bad", but I'd like to remind you it is not). The story itself seems like a rejected Jhonen Vasquez comic/cartoon.
Oh, an insane killer with a deformed face?

Now, a bit of history; The following image is supposedly what inspired the story of "Jeff the Killer".

"Know Your Meme" claims the picture first appeared in a YouTube video in 2008, and I remember it popping up on /b/ many a time summer of that year (yeah, I went to /b/. Sue me). It was always the whole "If someone says your name, go to sleep", accompanied by this picture. Where the actual story came in, well, that's anyone's guess. If it's been floating around since 2008, unheard of and unseen until last year, that wouldn't be surprising. "Jeff the Killer"'s rise to fame has only been over shadowed by the meteoric rise in popularity of another towering Creepypasta figure.

Yes, that's right, the internet's favorite faceless child killer/Anonymous cosplayer. Go on your Facebook and tell me how many people on your friends list have made some post about the game "Slender" recently. Go ahead, I'll wait. If your friends are anything like my friends (and they probably are), you'll get several hits. Slenderman, or as people have been calling him since the early days, "Slendy" (I really hate that name), has reached such heights that Hollywood is making a movie that's a little too similar to the whole Slender mythos to not be a coincidence. It's called "The Tall Man". Just look it up.
Now, with Slenderman's popularity has come a tidal wave of shitty fanart and creepypastas, much like Jeff the Killer. The main difference between Jeff and Slender, however, is that Slenderman was scary, and still can be. I'll admit, the first few times I saw the "GO TO SLEEP" picture, I was unsettled, but now it looks like a vaguely humorous photoshop of Marilyn Manson. Slenderman, on the other hand... Well, I'm still unsure about taking night-walks through the neighborhood anymore.
Slenderman, for all intents and purposes, is a truly unsettling character with some fantastic stories weaved into the mythos that counter balance the crap.
Jeff the Killer is just... not.

Now, I think I've said my piece on Jeff the Killer already; I don't like it.
But I want to leave you with a theory as to why it got so popular.
It's no secret there are teenagers on the internet. Most of these teenagers are stupid, angsty, and wanna-be
"goff" and "scene". They like Hot Topic, Nightmare before Christmas, Jhonen Vasquez, as well as "Blood on the Dance Floor" and basically everything bad in this world. They hate their parents because they "DON'T UNDERSTAND ME". They hate their classmates because they're all "stupid preps".
Now which creepypasta character is a young teenager who killed his bullies and parents, and now lives a life of thoughtless and wanton murder?
Oh, right...


;_;

4 comments:

  1. yeeaahh. he isn't really all that scary.
    and about the teenagers...lawl. haha you just described me. except I have no idea who the hell "blood on the dancefloor" is and my mom understands meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I really like your art work and wanted to know If i could use one of your art work, the one on the bottem. I woud of course give you credit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y TE F IS HE NOT SCERI?(I know how to spell, shut up)

    ReplyDelete
  4. he aint real because you have not heard about him in the news.

    ReplyDelete